Most people love to set up a home gym because it allows them to continue their exercise regimen without difficulty. However, your home gym is incomplete without a weight plate, particularly if you enjoy weight training.
With a solid cast iron construction that gives it the heaviness required for rigorous training sessions, the CAP Barbell 2-inch Olympic Grip Plate is our pick for the best weight plates for a home gym. The oversized handle makes it easier for users to manipulate the handle plate.
Table of Contents
- Best Weight Plates – Comparison Table
- What are Weight Plates?
- Different Types of Weight Plates
- How do Weight Plates Help in Fitness?
- How Many Weight Plates Will I Need for Home Gym?
- Best Exercises Using Weight Plates
- What to Look for?
- Best Weight Plates for Home Gym
- Key References
Weight plates are one of the most important things your home gym needs, as they will help you build muscle and strength when it’s attached to a sled or barbell. However, most people’s biggest challenge is choosing the best weight plate for their home gym because while there are many expensive or affordable weight plates on the market, there is also a lot of waste.
Here you will find a compilation of the best weight plates for home gym.
Best Weight Plates – Comparison Table
What are Weight Plates?
Weight plates are round plates that are attached to the end of a bar for strength training. Weight plates are used to build strength. Various types of weight plates are used for various types of exercises. They are available in different sizes and are crafted from various materials depending on what you are using them for.
Different Types of Weight Plates
There are 3 main types of weight plates:
- Cast Iron Plates: These weight plates are the most popular types because they’re relatively cheaper and take up less bar space, but they are quite unforgiving when you drop them.
- Bumper Plates: These plates are crafted from high-density rubber, so they’re thicker than cast iron options. Therefore they take up more space on the bar but are safer to let go of.
- Vinyl Weight Plates: This is an inexpensive, ballasted vinyl capsule and weight plate that is only available for one-inch diameter bars.
How do Weight Plates Help in Fitness?
Lifting weights tend to work the muscles. By following certain training styles, you can build muscle mass and strength as well as improve endurance.
- Weight plates are dense discs that can be loaded onto a barbell. With the help of weight plates, you can control the amount of weight you are lifting and make sure you have a balanced weight load.
- Weight plates can hold a lot of weight, which makes them an effective exercise tool. The bumper plates are mostly made of rubber, which means they are great for dumbbell exercises that start or end on the floor.
- Typically, bumper plates are 18 inches in diameter, regardless of their weight. This also means that the weight load can be distributed across all plates as they are all cut the same.
How Many Weight Plates Will I Need for Home Gym?
A basic set of weight plates includes;
- 4x 1 pounds/0.5 kg.
- 4x 2.5 pounds/1 kg.
- 2x 5 pounds/ 2.5 kg.
- 4x 10 pounds/5 kg.
- 2x 25 pounds/10 kg.
- 4x 45 pounds/20 kg.
Including the bar (44 pounds), which is a total weight of 338 pounds. This combination offers ample strength for beginners and advanced users alike. It allows them to load the barbell with 2 pounds increments at any weight.
The more advanced you’re, the less weight you gain. At this point, it becomes more pertinent to have the smaller weight denominations. If you are a beginner, you can start by adding 5 pounds to the bar.
More advanced users can make more progress with a 2.5 pounds increase because 5 lbs might be too much for those that want to lift heavier weight.
Best Exercises Using Weight Plates
Here are some of the best exercises using weight plates for a home gym:
- Plank Plate Switch: This exercise targets the shoulders, obliques, chest, and abs. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
- Plate Push-Ups: Plate Push-Ups targets the shoulders, arms, chest, and abs. It is perfect for intermediate trainers.
- Front Shoulder Raise: This targets the shoulders, back, and abs. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
- Lateral Raise: The Lateral Raise targets the deltoids, upper back, and shoulders. It is perfect for intermediate users.
- Halo: This targets the shoulders, triceps, biceps, back, and abs. It is perfect for intermediate users.
- Squat Press: This targets the triceps, abs, chest, butt, and thighs. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
- Squat Reach: This exercise targets the abs, triceps, butt, lower back, and thighs. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
- Side Bend: The Side Bend exercise targets the triceps, abs, thighs, butt, and lower back. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate trainers.
- Overhead Press: This exercise targets the shoulders, chest, upper back, and triceps. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
What to Look for?
There are many factors to consider when purchasing the best weight plates for a home gym:
- Safety: Thicker rubber weight plates are safer. If you are an experienced athlete, you can go for weight plates less focused on safety. However, if you’re a beginner, the safety factor will play a bigger role in your buying decision.
- Compatibility: You should verify that the weight plate set you are purchasing is compatible with your dumbbell.
- Durability: Weight plates can have inner ring cracks and even bend. Make sure the manufacturer makes its plates from high-quality materials.
- Bounce: Be sure to read the manufacturer’s description on how to bounce the weight tray or read some reviews from previous users. The best weight plates for home gym must bounce a bit, but not so hard that they come back and hit you on the face.
Best Weight Plates for Home Gym
Here are the top 6 best weight plates for home gym on the market today:
1. CAP Barbell 2-inch Olympic Grip Plate Reviews
CAP Barbell is committed to ensuring that athletes have the best equipment they can use to perform better. That is why they produce quality products at all times.
- The CAP Barbell 2-Inch Olympic Grip Plate is built with a solid cast iron construction that gives it the heaviness required for rigorous training sessions.
- Also, CAP Barbell has paid enough attention to the handle to ensure that it is oversized to make it easier for the user to manipulate the handle plate.
- They then completed their innovative manufacturing process by making the grip plate fit onto 2-inch bars, which is the standard size.
2. PINROYAL Bumper Plate Reviews
The PINROYAL Bumper Plates are crafted from a high-purity and high-density natural rubber formula that is eco-friendly and healthy.
- The plates are characterized by low rebound, high-quality and high strength.
- You can pair them with a 2-inch Olympic barbell, a curling bar, perfect for any barbell training move, such as barbell bench press, barbell overhead squat, deadlift, bench press with weights, front squat, front squat, back squat, and many more.
- This bumper plate set comes with 2 premium rubber buffer plates, each 11 pounds center hole 2-inch size.
- The plates are compatible with all standard Olympic rods. Its high-quality natural rubber with incredible elasticity prevents your floor from being damaged, even if it accidentally falls from above.
3. PlateMate Microlaod Pair 2 ½ Magnetic Donut Weights Reviews
Improve your ability to gradually overload your muscles with magnetic donut plates.
- These PlateMate magnet weights can be easily and quickly attached to the ends of all stacked weight plates and iron dumbbells.
- These donut plates are attached to the metal with a strong magnetic attachment, enabling safe micro-charging so that there is no fear of slipping or falling.
- PlateMate Micro-loading provides users with a safe and scientific way to build strength for beginners and advanced users.
- The PlateMate Microlaod Pair 2 ½ Magnetic Donut Weights are perfect for physiotherapy, where small bumps help patients regain their strength without overloading injured tendons and muscles.
- This unit sticks together and allows you to stack multiple weight plates together.
4. Micro Gainz Calibrated Fractional Weight Plate Reviews
The Micro Gainz Calibrated Fractional Weight Plate set comes with 8 plates in 4 sizes:.25lbs,.50lbs,.75lbs, and 1.00lbs.
- They are black and come with a nice pouch to carry them around. The weight plates are calibrated because they are accurate to -/+5 grams of their indicated weight.
- Because of this precision, they can and have been used in weightlifting competitions. While the barbell plates are nothing unique, Micro Gainz has developed its proprietary dumbbell micro-plates.
- They are available in various sizes. Given the cost of dumbbells, most gyms are only willing to put on weight in 5lbs increments.
- These microtiter plates make a huge difference in taking your oblique presses, triceps extensions, curls, and more to the next level.
5. Trademark Innovations Exercise Plates Reviews
If you have ever dreamed of using your barbells in a pool, the Trademark Innovations Exercise Plates set is ideal for you.
- Users can swim with these units or, more realistically, they can be used for water aerobics.
- Each weight plate weighs just 0.66lbs, so don’t expect them to tire you out. However, they can add a bit of intensity to water-based workout sessions.
- The weights are made from floating EVA foam, so you need not worry about them falling to the bottom of your pool.
- Also, this is a set of eight weight plates. This unit can be used for progressive overload.
- The circular weight plate measures 2 inches in diameter. The weight is printed on each weight plate for your convenience.
6. AMGYM LB Bumper Plates Reviews
A good set of bumpers is the heart of modern high-intensity interval training (HIIT). You can perform deadlifts, squats, and Olympic lifts safely with these weight plates.
- The expertly designed stainless steel “hook” insert, which is firmly in place, maintains balance.
- The bumper weight plates can fit all Olympic dumbbells with 2-inch sleeves.
- Each plate has a standard diameter of 17.72-inches/450mm and a thickness that varies with weight (a thinner width than most comparable plates on the market, so more weight can be loaded onto the bar).
- The AMGYM LB Bumper Plates is made from high-density, 100% natural rubber, durable with a low rebound to withstand repeated drops.
- These best weight plates for home gym are available in 6 weights – 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 25 lbs, 35 lbs, 45 lbs, and 55 lbs. The plates are suitable for bodybuilding, powerlifting, CrossFit, and many more.
Our pick for the best weight plates for home gym is the CAP Barbell 2-inch Olympic Grip Plate.
- It is made from solid iron that can withstand regular usage.
- The oversized holes allow users to use it safely, load and lift it onto barbells and other equipment.
- These weight plates are available in various sizes to match your skillset.
Without weight plates, your home gym will never be complete. Not only are weight plates intended for weightlifters, but many other things can be done from the comfort of home with a weight plate.
When shopping for the best weight plates for home gym, you’ll be overwhelmed by the options available on the market, and you may be confused. However, with the list above, you have the perfect plates for your home gym.
Therefore, if you want to strengthen your lower and upper body, build your dreams’ muscular body, build strength, and weight lifting is ideal for you.
- “A Girls Guide To Gaining Muscle: Weight Training”. Accessed February 08, 2021. Link.
- “Benefits of Weight Plates Exercise In Gym, Workouts at fitking”. Accessed February 08, 2021. Link.