Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned yogi, you probably know that taking hot yoga will result in tons of sweating. The high humidity and temperature levels in hot yoga studios mean there is no way to avoid getting soaked in your own sweat. Find the best yoga mats for grip on this page.
Our top pick for the best yoga mat for grip is the Manduka PRO Yoga Mat. It is 6mm thick and provides superior cushion and unmatched support. It is 100% safe, easy to clean, and eco-friendly.
So, it is essential to find a reliable yoga mat that will hold your grip successfully in a hot yoga class regardless of how much you are sweating.
Table of Contents
- What to look for in the best anti-slip yoga mats?
- Top 8 Best Yoga Mats for Grip
- Key References
What to look for in the best anti-slip yoga mats?
When choosing the best yoga mats for grip, there are some things you have to consider before settling for an option.
If you have been fine with using a standard yoga mat, you will probably be good at sticking with the 68 x 24 inches size.
- However, if you have ever gone off the side of your yoga mat in some poses, there are larger mats available that can accommodate your preferences.
- We recommend choosing a mat that is 71 inches or longer and a width of 24 inches or more.
- Another benefit of choosing a larger yoga mat is that it gives you enough room between you and your neighbors in the classroom setup.
The texture of your yoga mat will go a long way in determining the level of grip it offers.
- Besides the texture, you will want a mat that is sticky but not overly sticky that it gets in your way when changing positions.
- For instance, rubber yoga mats have an open-celled surface that is sticky but won’t stick to you.
- If you want a mat that offers a lot of cushioning but does not impress with weight applied, a mat with a dense material is your best option.
- If you can overlook the additional weight, yoga mats with a dense material typically last for many years, and they often have an excellent grip.
The thickness of your yoga mat will, in part, determine how comfortable a yoga experience will be.
- Although it can be tempting to opt for a thick mat, it is essential to know the importance of the material density.
- A thicker yoga mat crafted from a cushy material will impress when weight is put on it. Meaning you can be thrown off balance if you are a beginner.
- Additionally, cushy materials tend to stretch when you put your weight in the opposite direction.
- We recommend choosing a mat that meets in the middle. So, go for a mat that is made from a dense material but thick enough to reduce how much the floor underneath you is felt.
Top 8 Best Yoga Mats for Grip
Here are the best non-slip yoga mats on the market.
1. Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat
The Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat is crafted from premium organic natural fibers that repel sweat stains and smells, providing you with a durable non-slip texture.
- It features a unique combination of PER and jute, offering grip, functionality, and comfort in every position.
- This mat will give you an optimal base to ground your practice, so you can stay happy, focused, and calm.
- The lightweight composition of the mat and the carrying strap mean you can transport or roll with ease.
- The Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat is easy to clean, simply wash with a gentle disinfectant or wipe down with water.
- Additionally, the mat is free from heavy metals, phthalate, BPA, latex, and other harmful chemicals.
2. IUGA Pro Non-Slip Yoga Mat
The IUGA Pro Non-Slip Yoga Mat is specially designed to keep you safe and always in place regardless of the type of yoga you practice.
- The polyurethane top layer absorbs and provides a slip-free surface with a firm grip.
- Unlike most PVC and natural rubber mats, this mat does not have any rubbery smell when taken out of the package.
- Beyond that, the material also helps to keep odor at bay, so the mat always stays fresh.
- With this full-size yoga mat, there is no falling apart, no stretching, or flaking. It weighs just 2.5 pounds, making it perfect for carrying to and from the studio as well as traveling.
- This anti-slip yoga mat is made of sustainably harvested and biodegradable tree rubber, so it’s entirely free from latex, PVC, and other harmful materials.
- The IUGA Pro Non-Slip Yoga Mat optimally combines stability and cushioning.
- The cushion base delivers comfort while also offering a grounded feel to support you sturdily and keep you stable in every pose.
3. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
Manduka yoga mats are known for being durable and guaranteed to last a lifetime.
- The superior quality of the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat will ensure it never fade, flake, or peel.
- It is unlikely you will ever have to use the warranty because they are very well made. Unlike many yoga mats around, this mat has a specially designed top and bottom surface.
- So, it remains stable on a carpet, stone, and hardwood floors. The extra thickness of the mat provides a softer surface for knees and back.
- Also, the thickness eliminates the need to have extra props and blankets needed for a softer surface.
- The closed-cell construction helps to block moisture and bacteria from sweat, making it a breeze to clean.
- What makes the Manduka Yoga Mat unique is that the grip improves with more use.
4. Manduka eKO Yoga Mat
The Manduka eKO Yoga Mat is a non-PVC and eco-friendly mat that balances Manduka’s signature comfort with high performance.
- This natural rubber mat is a comfortable mat that has excellent support and padding for joints.
- The rubber ensures better stability and grip, especially in dry conditions. The mat has an additional closed-cell layer to help increase durability and repel moisture.
- The extra layer helps to improve the mat’s resilience. The Manduka eKO Yoga Mat does not contain toxic dyes or foaming agents, and it is latex-free.
- This yoga mat is an excellent option for those that want a biodegradable mat that offers a better grip.
5. Sacred Reversible CORE Yoga Mat
The Sacred Reversible CORE Yoga Mat is made from 100 percent non-toxic, durable, and recyclable PU vegan leather and natural tree rubber that won’t crumble or tear after a high-intensity session.
- Its floor stable design allows you to avoid slipping during your sessions.
- This yoga mat incorporates extra thick and high intensity cushioning for ultimate comfort.
- It is proportioned perfectly for lengthy limbs and padded generously to protect against sore elbows and knees.
- This mat features a unique central alignment reference for total balance and better form.
- The Sacred Reversible CORE Yoga Mat comes with a carrying strap that compactly and safely stores the mat for easy transport.
6. Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat
The Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat is made from natural organic fibers that help repel sweat stains and smells.
- The mat offers grip, functionality, and comfort in every position, so you need not worry about knee and joint pains or compromised balance.
- The lightweight design of the mat makes it easy to transport.
- Whether you want a sticky grip or a highly textured grip, all you need to do is flip your mat.
- You will stay in place without moving, and your joints will thank you for the exceptional cushioning and support that is provided.
7. Gurus Natural Cork Yoga Mat
The Gurus Natural Cork Yoga Mat is crafted from high-quality TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) bottom and cork top.
- Its cork keeps you safe from toxic materials and also keeps it odor-free.
- Naturally, cork displaces moisture, and when wet gets grippier, so you won’t have any issue with the grip.
- Additionally, the cork layer of the mat doesn’t absorb heat the way foam and rubber mats do, making it perfect for outdoor practice.
- The lightweight design of the Gurus Natural Cork Yoga Mat makes it perfect for travelers and on-the-go practitioners.
When searching for the best yoga mats for grip, it is crucial to choose a mat that is sticky enough to withstand your sweat puddles.
Our top recommendation for the best yoga mat for grip is the Manduka PRO Yoga Mat. This anti-slip yoga mat is 6mm thick and provides a superior cushion and excellent grip for all yoga poses. It is 100% safe, easy to clean, and environment-friendly.
Choosing a durable yoga mat that is made with a microfiber or non-slip rubber will let you achieve every yoga pose throughout your session without having to worry about slipping.
- “Yoga: What You Need To Know | NCCIH”. Accessed January 13, 2020. Link.